Last updated: October 19, 2020
- El Salvador has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
- On August 24, El Salvador reopened its economy. Essential services such as medical assistance, grocery stores, pharmacies, public transportation, and gas stations are operating and available to the public. In-person classes for schools and universities remain suspended through December 31.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes.
- The Government of El Salvador reopened the International Airport on September 19 with enhanced health protocols, which may include but not be limited to requiring the wearing of a mask at all times, maintaining social distancing, and temperature checks. For more information regarding the reopening of the airport and the measures that will be implemented, please consult the website of the Comisión Ejecutiva Portuaria Autónoma (CEPA).
- There are no exit restrictions in place.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes. The government of El Salvador is requiring all airlines to obtain an original negative PCR test result issued within 72 hours of departure for all international passengers prior to allowing them to board. It is very important that you consult with your airline for full details prior to attempting to travel.
- U.S. citizens are required to present an original negative PCR test result issued within 72 hours of entering El Salvador at any point of entry.
- If you are a Salvadoran or legal permanent resident of El Salvador different requirements may apply, please visit the Twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration for more information.
- If you need to extend your Salvadoran visa please visit this website.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- If you need to renew your Salvadoran residency please access this link.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? Yes. Please see paragraph two immediately below in “Quarantine Information” for possible movement restrictions of indeterminate duration in and out of municipalities with high positivity rates. Outside these municipalities there are no restrictions.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? Not upon entrance if an original negative PCR test is presented.
1. Official confirmation of entry requirements is published at the following government´s websites: Comisión Ejecutiva Portuaria Autónoma: www.cepa.gob.sv; and General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador: www.migracion.gob.sv
2. The Salvadoran Ministry of Health can place municipalities under special quarantine with little or no prior notice when a high number of COVID-19 cases is detected. Please consult the Twitter account of the Ministry of Health for more information.
- The Government of El Salvador offers free testing in different locations every day. The locations are announced on the twitter account of the Salvadoran Interdisciplinary Epidemiological Containment Team (EICE). Testing at national hospitals and health units is at the discretion of the Ministry of Health.
- The following private laboratories in El Salvador are performing COVID-19 test:
- Analiza: the cost is $160, and you need to schedule an appointment by calling 503-2263-0892 or sending a WhatsApp message to 503-7025-6433. For more information please visit their website.
- Max Bloch: the cost is $165, and you need to schedule an appointment by calling 503-2564-6555 or sending a WhatsApp message to 503-7487-5493, you may also schedule an appointment by visiting their website.
- Laboratorio Centro de Diagnostico: the cost is $150, and you need to schedule an appointment by calling 503-2263-6883 or sending a WhatsApp message to 503-7629-3514. For more information please visit their website.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Taxis and other private transportation companies are operating normally.
- The Salvadoran government recommends wearing a mask at all times.
Fines for Non-Compliance: Not Applicable
- We have resumed our online appointment system for routine passport and notarial services, though still with limited availability to maintain health and safety. Please visit our website for more information on how to schedule an appointment: Passport & Notarial.
- The Embassy has suspended all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa services. For more information, please contact the Visa Information Center at 2113-3122 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The U. S. Embassy in San Salvador has compiled a list of health care providers. You can find the complete list by visiting https://sv.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/doctors/.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, please dial 132. The Salvadoran government has enabled this phone number to provide free medical assistance.
- Visit the Government of El Salvador COVID-19 website.
- Check the Twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador for more information regarding entry restrictions.
- Visit the webpage and Twitter account for Comisión Ejecutiva Portuaria Autónoma (CEPA) for information regarding the airport status.
- For more information regarding health measures by the Salvadoran government, please visit the webpage and official Twitter account of the Ministry of Health.
- Other links:
o El Salvador Country Information and Travel Advisory