EducationUSA Opportunity Funds provide small grants for highly qualified students who are likely to be awarded substantial institutional financial aid, but who have difficulty paying the up-front costs of applying to U.S. universities, including testing and visa fees and the cost of international airfare.
The program also provides modest “gap scholarships” to students who receive support from the college or university of choice, but whose financial aid packages fall short of their needs.
The Opportunity program encourages prospective students to take advantage of the valuable resources available at EducationUSA Advising Centers, including individualized consultations on educational opportunities available in the United States.
Opportunity Fund Candidates must Meet the Following Requirements:
- Advanced English ability
- Excellent academic background
- Leadership skills (proof of community service)
- Proof of financial need
- Not a former grantee of the Fulbright Program or any other program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State
Examples of Items Eligible for Funding under Opportunity Funds:
- Payment of fees for any standardized test required for admission at U.S. institutions
- Application fees for accredited U.S. institutions
- International courier fees to ensure that a student’s application package reaches U.S. institutions
- Certifications of a student’s official documents
- Passport fees
- Costs related to applying for appropriate U.S. visas
- Local transportation expenses
- Test Prep courses
- Advanced English lessons
- One-time settling-in allowance
- Limited financial aid to supplement assistance offered by an accredited U.S. institution of higher education