Health Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (May 28, 2020)
Location: El Salvador
- The Government of El Salvador reports 2,194 confirmed cases of COVID-19, 39 deaths and 1,002 recovered patients.
- On May 7, the Government of El Salvador implemented additional movement restrictions based on the last digit of an individual’s Salvadoran identification document (DUI). For other nationalities, it will be based on the last digit in an individual’s passport or residency card (carné de residencia). Only one individual per household will be permitted to leave the home, hotel or residence to purchase basic necessities or to access banking services. Movement will be restricted to the days designated by the Government of El Salvador, which appear on the following table:
|Last number in your identification document||Permitted Days|
June: 1, 5
United Airlines notified the U.S. Embassy that they will offer humanitarian flights for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents from El Salvador to Houston, TX. United Airlines is a private company. To purchase a ticket, please visit www.united.com, email email@example.com or call 2207-2040 / 2136-7590. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket. United is offering flights on the following dates:
- Friday, May 29 – Houston, TX – Departure 12:10 p.m.
- Sunday, May 31 – Houston, TX – Departure 12:10 p.m.
- Monday June 1 – Tuesday, June 30 (excluding June 2): United Airlines is offering a non-stop humanitarian flight to Houston, TX for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents every day in June, excluding June 2. All flights will depart at 12:10 p.m
Traveling to the airport:
- Passengers with return tickets to the United States should consider the following:
- Anyone with flu-like symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight. Travelers exhibiting flu-like symptoms should not come to the airport. These individuals should self-quarantine and seek medical attention if their symptoms worsen.
- The airlines will provide documents confirming your flight. Please print this letter and a copy of your ticket to present at checkpoints when traveling to the airport. We recommend that the person who drops you off at the airport has a copy of the transit letter that is provided to you by United Airlines as well as a copy or a picture of your passport.
- Normal services at the airport are closed. Please take snacks, food, and water that you may need for your trip.
- We suggest travelers carry additional cash for their trip to cover any unexpected expenses.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to receive emergency messages. To enroll in STEP, visit https://step.state.gov/.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the webpage and twitter account of the Ministry of Health.
- Check the twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador for more information regarding entry restrictions.
- Consult entry restrictions at 503-2213-7778 or 503-2213-7700 or online at www.migracion.gob.sv.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in El Salvador
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 2020-501-4444
- El Salvador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter