Health Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (April 13, 2020)
Location: El Salvador
- There are 109 active cases of COVID-19 in El Salvador.
- The Government of El Salvador reports six COVID-19 related deaths.
- The Government of El Salvador created a platform for sharing COVID-19 information: covid19.gob.sv
- On March 21, the Government of El Salvador implemented a nationwide home quarantine for 30 days, and on April 6 this was extended for an additional 15 days. All individuals are required to self-quarantine in their home, hotel or residence. Only one individual per household is permitted to leave the home, hotel or residence to purchase basic necessities (i.e. food, medicine) or for medical treatment. Essential services such as supermarkets, gas stations, banks, pharmacies, public transportation, law enforcement, hospitals, and some government offices will remain open.
- The Embassy has been informed that Salvadoran health officials have quarantined some travelers, including U.S. citizens, who may have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case. We urge U.S. citizens to comply with instructions and regulations from Salvadoran health officials. If you need assistance, please contact the American Citizens Services unit at ACSSANSAL@state.gov.
- International humanitarian flight options currently exist in El Salvador. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make flight arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. https://sv.usembassy.gov/repatriation-flights-booking-information/
The U.S. Embassy will continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to receive emergency messages. To enroll in STEP, visit https://step.state.gov/.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the webpage and twitter account of the Ministry of Health.
- Check the twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador for more information regarding entry restrictions.
- Consult entry restrictions at 503-2213-7778 or 503-2213-7700 or online at www.migracion.gob.sv.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in El Salvador
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- El Salvador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter