Health Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (March 24, 2020)
Location: El Salvador
We are compiling a list of persons seeking to return to the United States. If you have not already done so, please enroll in STEP (see below). Please send your name and contact information to our email address, SanSalvadorUSCitizen@state.gov,so that we can contact you as soon as we have any updates. Due to high call volume, we recommend you utilize these communication options.
Your email message should include the following information:
- Your full name as spelled in your passport.
- Information we can use to contact you now – a current phone number and email address.
- Your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY).
- Your passport number, and its date of issuance and expiration. If it is not a U.S. passport, please note the country that issued it. Please also note any non-U.S. citizen immediate family members traveling with you.
- Please note your current location (city and department) and any special needs you may have, such as medical issues.
- Billing address in the United States.
- Emergency contact in the United States.
- Emergency contact phone number.
Commercial Transportation Options:
- Eastern Airlines notified the U.S. Embassy they will offer a commercial flight from El Salvador to Houston, TX on Wednesday, March 25 and on Friday, March 27. Eastern Airlines is a private company and this flight is not arranged by the U.S. government. You can purchase a ticket by visiting https://goeasternair.com/. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket.
- Avianca Airlines notified the U.S. Embassy that it created an online signup pagefor travelers to express interest in flights departing from El Salvador to the United States. These are not guaranteed flights, but rather Avianca is compiling a list of individuals interested in returning to the United States. If you are interested, please respond immediately through the link. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket.
The U.S. Embassy will contiue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to receive emergency messages. To enroll in STEP, visit https://step.state.gov/.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the webpage and twitter account of the Ministry of Health.
- Check the twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador for more information regarding entry restrictions.
- Consult entry restrictions at 503-2213-7778 or 503-2213-7700 or online at www.migracion.gob.sv
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in El Salvador
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.