Health Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (March 25, 2020)
Location: El Salvador
The United States Embassy in El Salvador continues to arrange transportation options for U.S. citizens seeking to return to the United States. We are in the process of coordinating evacuation flights from the international airport in El Salvador. These flights are for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents of the United States.
Traveling to the airport:
Passengers with return tickets to the United States should consider the following:
- Anyone with flu-like symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight. Travelers exhibiting flu-like symptoms should not come to the airport. These individuals should self-quarantine and seek medical attention if their symptoms worsen.
- We strongly recommend U.S. citizens utilize a private taxi service (yellow cab) to transit to the airport. The Government of El Salvador has authorized the use of these taxi services during the nation-wide quarantine. We understand the Government of El Salvador regulations stipulate one person per taxi.
- The airlines will provide documents confirming your flight. Please print this letter and a copy of your ticket to present at checkpoints when traveling to the airport.
- Normal services at the airport are closed. Please take snacks, food, and water that you may need for your trip.
- We suggest travelers carry additional cash for their trip to cover any unexpected expenses.
Commercial Transportation Options:
- Eastern Airlines notified the U.S. Embassy they will offer a commercial flight from El Salvador to Houston, TX on Wednesday, March 25, Friday, March 27, Saturday, March 28, and Sunday, March 29. Eastern Airlines is a private company and this flight is not arranged by the U.S. government. You can purchase a ticket by visiting https://goeasternair.com/. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket.
- Please continue to monitor the Embassy website and social media accounts for additional options as they become available.
The U.S. Embassy will contiue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to receive emergency messages. To enroll in STEP, visit https://step.state.gov/.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the webpage and twitter account of the Ministry of Health.
- Check the twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador for more information regarding entry restrictions.
- Consult entry restrictions at 503-2213-7778 or 503-2213-7700 or online at www.migracion.gob.sv
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in El Salvador
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.