Location: El Salvador
The Government of El Salvador announced a suspension of all passenger air travel in and out of the country until April 19.
As of April 3, the U.S. Embassy in El Salvador has assisted 2,936 U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents to return to the United States through humanitarian and evacuation flights. Two additional humanitarian and evacuation flights with an estimated 415 passengers are scheduled through April 7.
United Airlines notified the U.S. Embassy that they will offer humanitarian flights for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents from El Salvador to Houston, TX. United Airlines is a private company. To purchase a ticket, please visit www.united.com, email email@example.com or call 2207-2040 / 2136-7590. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket. United Airlines is offering a flight on the following date:
- Sunday, April 5 – Houston, TX – Departure: 2:10 p.m.
United Airlines is not offering a flight on Saturday, April 4. Please contact United Airlines for more information.
Eastern Airlines notified the U.S. Embassy that they will offer a humanitarian flight for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents from El Salvador to Miami, FL. Eastern Airlines is a private company and you can purchase a ticket by visiting https://goeasternair.com/. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket. Eastern Airlines is offering a flight on the following date:
- Tuesday, April 7 – Miami, FL – Departure: 5:00 p.m
The United States Embassy in El Salvador continues to coordinate U.S. government operated evacuation flights from the international airport in El Salvador. These flights are for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents only. While the exact cost of the flights has not been determined, the price should be comparable to a full-fare economy commercial flight available before the COVID-19 outbreak.
Traveling to the airport:
Passengers with return tickets to the United States should consider the following:
- Anyone with flu-like symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight. Travelers exhibiting flu-like symptoms should not come to the airport. These individuals should self-quarantine and seek medical attention if their symptoms worsen.
- We strongly recommend U.S. citizens utilize a private taxi service (yellow cab) or Uber to transit to the airport. The Government of El Salvador has authorized the use of these services during the nation-wide quarantine. We understand the Government of El Salvador regulations stipulate one person per vehicle.
- The airlines will provide documents confirming your flight. Please print this letter and a copy of your ticket to present at checkpoints when traveling to the airport.
- Normal services at the airport are closed. Please take snacks, food, and water that you may need for your trip.
- We suggest travelers carry additional cash for their trip to cover any unexpected expenses.
Please continue to monitor the Embassy website and social media accounts for additional options as they become available.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to receive emergency messages. To enroll in STEP, visit https://step.state.gov/.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the webpage and twitter account of the Ministry of Health.
- Check the twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador for more information regarding entry restrictions.
- Consult entry restrictions at 503-2213-7778 or 503-2213-7700 or online at www.migracion.gob.sv.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in El Salvador
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 2020-501-4444
- El Salvador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter