Message for U.S. Citizens: U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (March 25, 2020)
Location: El Salvador
The U.S. Embassy in El Salvador has facilitated five commercial flights scheduled to depart El Salvador this week for the United States. These flights are operated by two private companies, Eastern Airlines and Global Guardian. Travelers can purchase tickets directly from the airlines using the contact information below. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket. These flights are for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents only.
Eastern Airlines: You can purchase a ticket by visiting https://goeasternair.com/. Eastern Airlines is offering flights to Houston, TX on the following dates:
- Friday, March 27
- Saturday, March 28
- Sunday, March 29
Global Guardian: Please email email@example.com to purchase a ticket. Global Guardian is offering flights to Miami on the following dates:
- Thursday, March 26
- Friday, March 27
The United States Embassy in El Salvador continues to coordinate U.S. government evacuation flights from the international airport in El Salvador. These flights are for U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents only. While the exact cost of the flights has not been determined, the price should be comparable to a full-fare economy commercial flight available before the COVID-19 outbreak.
You must fill out this form (CLICK HERE) as soon as possible if you want to be contacted by phone or email when evacuations flights become available. Please do not call the U.S. Embassy to place your name on the list for possible evacuation flights. Evacuation flight departure times and destinations within the United States are subject to change without notice.
Traveling to the airport:
Passengers with return tickets to the United States should consider the following:
- Anyone with flu-like symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight. Travelers exhibiting flu-like symptoms should not come to the airport. These individuals should self-quarantine and seek medical attention if their symptoms worsen.
- We strongly recommend U.S. citizens utilize a private taxi service (yellow cab) to transit to the airport. The Government of El Salvador has authorized the use of these taxi services during the nation-wide quarantine. We understand the Government of El Salvador regulations stipulate one person per taxi.
- The airlines will provide documents confirming your flight. Please print this letter and a copy of your ticket to present at checkpoints when traveling to the airport.
- Normal services at the airport are closed. Please take snacks, food, and water that you may need for your trip.
- We suggest travelers carry additional cash for their trip to cover any unexpected expenses.
Please continue to monitor the Embassy website social media accounts for additional options as they become available.
The U.S. Embassy will continue to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens.
Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to receive emergency messages. To enroll in STEP, visit https://step.state.gov/.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the webpage and twitter account of the Ministry of Health.
- Check the twitter account of the General Directorate of Migration of El Salvador for more information regarding entry restrictions.
- Consult entry restrictions at 503-2213-7778 or 503-2213-7700 or online at www.migracion.gob.sv.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in El Salvador.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 2020-501-4444
- El Salvador Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter