The Government of El Salvador has closed the international airport in San Salvador to all departing and arriving commercial flights. They have not announced a date in which the airport will reopen to commercial flights. If you choose to book a commercial flight now for a future date of travel, we strongly recommend that your ticket is changeable or refundable.
HUMANITARIAN FLIGHTS (Buy your ticket from the airline. Prices set by the airlines)
If you desire to depart El Salvador, The US embassy has facilitated Humanitarian flight permissions for Eastern Airlines to depart from El Salvador to the USA. Humanitarian Flights are operated by private airlines who set their own prices, which we have seen are higher than the pre-COVID market pricing. However, these types of flights offer a travel schedule to a set location. You may get one to two luggage allowances, and you can work with the airline on pet travel options. If you have an urgent need to return to the USA, we strongly urge you to consider this option.
UNITED AIRLINES: For any questions about tickets, please contact United Airlines directly. Travelers will receive a letter from the airline to present at checkpoints. Travelers should not contact the Embassy for a letter:
Purchase tickets online, www.united.com ; through the call center (El Salvador Numbers 22072040 / 21367590; of via Email: email@example.com. Please do not contact the Embassy to purchase a ticket.
Limited seats. flight authorized for US citizens and residents only. United is offering flights on the following dates:
- Monday, April 13 – Houston, TX – Departure: 12:10 p.m.
- Monday, April 13 – Houston, TX – Departure: 2:10 p.m.
EVACUATION FLIGHTS: (Prices Set by U.S. Government; but schedules/destinations subject to changes)
- There is limited seating on this flight and seats are assigned based on the order in which the U.S. Embassy receives the completed form below.
- Submitting this form does not guarantee you a seat on this flight. If you are assigned a seat, the U.S. Embassy will send you an email confirmation on Monday, April 13.
- Please note that this information does not pertain to flights with United Airlines. If you are interested in humanitarian flights with United Airlines, please visit www.united.com.
- DO NOT SHOW UP AT THE AIRPORT ON TUESDAY UNLESS YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL CONFIRMATION FROM THE U.S. EMBASSY. YOU WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO BOARD.
- Our priority is the health and safety of U.S. citizens. Anyone with flu-like symptoms will not be allowed to board the flight and travelers experiencing flu-like symptoms should not come to the airport. These individuals should self-quarantine and seek medical attention if their symptoms worsen. Your temperature will be taken at the airport.
Evacuation Flight Stipulations/Guidelines
Payment: You will receive a bill after returning to the United States. While the exact cost of the flights has not been determined, the price should be comparable to a full-fare economy commercial flight available before the COVID-19 outbreak. Upon arrival at the airport, be prepared to pay in cash for airport taxes and fees imposed by the Salvadoran government. Estimated fees are between $50-$75.
- Destination: Destination options are limited. While the flight will land in the United States, you will be responsible for arranging and paying for travel to your final destination, including domestic flights, lodging, and local transport costs. The destination for this flight will be San Antonio, TX or Mesa, AZ. The U.S. Embassy will notify confirmed passengers of the destination on Monday, April 13.
- Transportation to the airport: All individuals will be responsible for their personal transportation to the airport in El Salvador. U.S. citizens with a confirmed reservation will receive a letter from the U.S. Embassy indicating their authorization to travel to the airport to be used at any checkpoint.
- Baggage: Baggage space will be limited. You should bring one checked bag (40 lbs. max) and one carry-on bag only. Additional luggage cannot be accommodated as our priority is returning U.S. citizens who wish to be repatriated to the United States. The baggage policy is subject to change.
You must fill out this form (CLICK HERE) as soon as possible if you want to be considered for a seat on Tuesday’s evacuation flight.
Please do not call the U.S. Embassy to place your name on the list for possible evacuation flights. The flight and destination are subject to change without notice.
By submitting this form, you acknowledge and accept the above-mentioned terms and conditions. Submitting the form DOES NOT guarantee a seat on the flight.
Read our FAQ: https://sv.usembassy.gov/19-repatriation-flights-qa/