Location: El Salvador
Event: Per media reports, 62 homicides took place throughout El Salvador on March 26th. The Government of El Salvador is responding with measures that will likely cause travelers and residents to notice an increased security presence. The Embassy is not changing its security posture.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid walking or driving after dark;
- Remain aware of your surroundings, and keep a low profile;
- Maintain a high-level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and follow the instructions of local authorities;
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt;
- Monitor local news for updates, including local events and pronouncements by the Government of El Salvador.
- El Salvador Emergency Line: Dial 911
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 2020-501-4444
- Enroll in the SmartTravelerEnrollmentProgram (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter