Security Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (February 1, 2019)
Location: El Salvador, Country-wide.
Event: Sunday, February 3, 2019, is Election Day in El Salvador. The U.S. Embassy anticipates large groups of people will gather at the various polling stations and that travel will be impacted by concentrated vehicular and pedestrian traffic, especially in and around polling sites.
Traditionally, election periods in El Salvador have been peaceful. However, any large crowd can be unpredictable and has the potential to become violent. U.S. citizens are advised to limit personal travel throughout El Salvador for the weekend of February 2-3, 2019.
Please note that due to Ley Seca, starting Friday, February 1 at midnight until Monday, February 4 at midnight, the consumption, distribution and sale of alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates, as well as the website and social media feed of the Salvadoran National Police (PNC) for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings.
- If encountered, do not attempt to drive through large groups and be aware of possible detours on the street.
National Police Website:
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
Telephone: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- National Police of El Salvador: Dial 911
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter