Location: El Salvador, countrywide
Event: Sunday, March 4, 2018, is Election Day in El Salvador and citizens of every department and municipality will be casting ballots for their choice of elected officials. The U.S. Embassy anticipates large groups of people will gather at the various polling stations and that travel will be seriously impacted by concentrated vehicular and pedestrian traffic, especially in and around polling sites.
Traditionally, election periods in El Salvador have been peaceful, but large crowds, especially those brought together by political ideals, have the potential to become violent. U.S. Embassy personnel are advised to limit personal travel throughout El Salvador for the weekend of March 3-4, 2018.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Carry proper identification at all times, including a U.S. passport with a current El Salvador visa.
- S. Embassy in San Salvador, El Salvador
(+503) 2501 – 2999
- El Salvador Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates (https://travelregistration.state.gov/step/)