U.S. Citizen Services

The United States Embassy in San Salvador has consular jurisdiction for all of El Salvador.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy. This information helps the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.

To register your trip, click on the following link: Enroll in STEP

Routine Services

All passport and notarial services require an appointment except qualified adult passport renewal by mail applications, which can be completed via courier service. Please visit the link to each service type for more information and to schedule an appointment: Passport & Notarial.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please visit Citizenship Page and follow the instructions.

Emergency Services

To report an emergency involving a U.S. citizen, understanding as emergency the death, imprisonment or having been the victim of a crime, please call (503) 2501-2999 or call from the United States (301) 985-8840 ext. 2999.

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit does not handle visa inquiries or any other immigration benefit. For visa questions (Immigrant and Non-Immigrant) you may visit the Visa Services Page.


For all those inquiries that are not an emergency and whose information is not on this web page, please send an email to ACSSanSal@state.gov.  For more information please visit frequently ask questions.

Please select below links for detailed information about each specific service.

Alerts and Messages

COVID-19 Information
See all Messages and Alerts for U.S. Visitors to El Salvador.