Consular Report of Birth Abroad


Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

Eligibility Requirements

To apply for a CRBA, your child must have been born in El Salvador and you must travel to the U.S. Embassy in San Salvador for the in-person interview. To qualify to transmit citizenship, the U.S. citizen parent (s) must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen at the time the child was born and prove the existence of a biological relationship between the transmitting parent and child or be legally married with the non-U.S. citizen parent at the time of the child’s birth.
  • Submit evidence of five years of physical presence of the U.S. citizen parent(s) in the United States prior to the child’s birth.
    • Exception: For children born before or on June 11, 2017, to a U.S. citizen mother out of wedlock, you only need to prove 365 days of physical presence.

If any of the above statements do not apply, or if the applicant is above the age of 18, please email  

How to Apply?

You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at the U.S. Embassy in San Salvador.  This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.  Once you submit the online application, the U.S. Embassy will contact you via email to provide you with an appointment date.   Make sure you review the required documents for the CRBA application using this CHECKLIST.

To apply for a CRBA online, you need to follow the NEXT STEPS:

  1. Create an account with MyTravelGov. This is a secure, encrypted portal.
  2. Once you create a MyTravelGov account, access eCRBA and submit your application online. The online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions to complete the application.
  3. Pay or your CRBA application online ($100), you will need a credit/debit card.
  4. Once you complete the online application and submit the payment, the U.S. Embassy in San Salvador will contact you via email within 5-7 business days to schedule your appointment.
  5. Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your original documents. Original documents will be returned. Both parents and child MUST be present for the interview.

If your application is approved, the Consular Report of Birth Abroad will be ready to pick up approximately two weeks after the interview.

Additional resources:• Please see U.S. Citizenship Laws & Policy for more information• Please see Child Citizenship Act of 2000 for more information