Child Support

The United States of America and El Salvador have a Bilateral Child Support Agreement for the Enforcement of Maintenance Obligations (Child Support Agreement).  Although the agreement entered into effect in 2007, legislation and operational procedures are still in process to implement the agreement.  For cases originating in El Salvador, applicants should contact the Public Defender’s Office (Procuraduría General de la República-PGR).  In the U.S., applicants should contact the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Additional information on “Children’s Issues”, please go to the State Department’s Office of Children’s Issues.

Check for the most recent information under Messages for U.S. Citizens.