Federal Benefits

If you reside in El Salvador and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Costa Rica.  For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at: https://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

The best way to contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit is by using their online form.


Federal beneficiaries may obtain additional information on the Internet websites of the benefits paying agencies.

  • The U.S. Social Security Administration website is www.ssa.gov
  • The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website is www.va.gov
  • The website for the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, which administers Civil Service benefits, is www.opm.gov
  • The U.S. Department of Labor website is www.dol.gov
  • The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board website is www.rrb.gov
  • The Medicare website is www.medicare.gov

The Department of Veterans Affairs website offers the Federal Benefits Manual for Veterans and Dependents (1997), details of available benefits, and downloadable benefits forms.

The American Citizen Services Unit can provide forms and general information and can forward your claims to Veterans Affairs. We also can arrange medical appointments, assist with direct deposit issues and follow up with Veterans Affairs about individual cases, when necessary.

You may obtain contact information for the VA at the following address: www.va.gov/landing2_contact.htm

For more information on VA Services and Benefits for U.S. Veterans Living Abroad: https://benefits.va.gov/PERSONA/veteran-abroad.asp

Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents, and Survivors 2013 Edition: http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book.asp

For General Inquiries: 1-800-827-1000 (English only)

How to contact the US Office of Personnel Management (OPM)? 

Telephone Number: (202) 606-0500
Website: www.opm.gov
E-mail address: retire@opm.gov
Mailing address:
U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center
P. O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017

OPM Articles of Interest 


How to contact the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)?


The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) administers comprehensive retirement-survivor and unemployment-sickness benefit programs for the nation’s railroad workers and their families. The RRB also administers certain Social Security benefit payments and railroad workers’