- Warden Information
- Emergency Preparation
- Travel Requirements
- Personal Security Suggestions
Warden Information: Description of Responsibilities
- Work with Embassy to appoint an Alternate Warden from the list of U.S. citizens in your warden zone. With the Alternate Warden, agree how you will operate the warden notification system within your warden zone. Notify each other if one of you will be absent or out the country. If both of you will be away at the same time, immediately notify the Warden Coordinator in the Embassy Consular Section, by phone at 2501-2628 or by fax at 2278-6020. We will designate another alternate to ensure that the warden zone is covered at all times.
- Regularly update the list of names, street addresses, phone/fax numbers, and e-mail addresses of U.S. citizens in your warden zone. Report all changes to the Embassy Warden System coordinator at the above telephone number, fax number, or our postal address (American Citizen Services, Embajada de los EE.UU., Final Blvd. Santa Elena, Antiguo Cuscatlan, Departamento La Libertad.
- Distribute messages for American citizens relayed from the Embassy to the members of your warden zone. Messages will be relayed to you via e-mail, fax, or telephone. Arrange the fastest mode of dissemination of information possible in your warden zone, (this might include forwarding the Warden e-mail to a group e-mail list, a cascade telephone system, faxing, or “buddy” system, depending on the distribution of citizens within your zone)
- Messages for American citizens relayed from the Embassy to you may be non-emergency in nature, such as information on absentee voting or income tax issues. Please use these non-emergency notices to perfect and streamline your Warden notification system.
In the Event of an Emergency:
- Remain at home office for e-mail, telephone or fax information. You can then distribute this message by the means you have previously set up. In addition, identical information will promptly appear on the Embassy’s webpage. Wardens who do not have Internet access can call (503) 2501-2628.
- Distribute messages from the Embassy regarding the status of the emergency and suggested actions to be taken. Messages should be transmitted word-for-word without interpreting of expanding the message.
- In the event of an emergency such as an earthquake, assist the Embassy in ascertaining the well-being of U.S. citizens in your warden zone and taking any necessary actions to assist them, including facilitating communication with worried relatives in the U.S.
- In the unlikely event of an evacuation, coordinate with Embassy personnel in choosing assembly areas and movement routes, should it be necessary to move people to a central location to facilitate communication, documentation, and/or evacuation.
- Report back to the Embassy the results of efforts to contact the members of your warden zone by phone at (503) 2501-2628 or by fax at (503) 2278-6020.
If you have access to a fax or e-mail and think you might be able to assist the Embassy with being part of our Warden’s System, please contact us at by phone at (503) 2501-2628, by fax at (503) 2278-6020 or by e-mail.