Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

If you are a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder), you are responsible for filing U.S. federal income tax returns while abroad. You will find useful information on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website, such as Frequently Asked Questions about taxes or how to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you are a U.S. government employee working overseas, you cannot claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. For additional information, visit the IRS website.

The American Citizens Services Unit in San Salvador can certify a copy of the Salvadoran passport or DUI that is requested when applying for an ITIN number. Please schedule a notarial services appointment HERE

The U.S. Embassy in San Salvador cannot advise U.S. citizens about tax matters, but you can find a list of U.S. Tax Preparation Services professionals in El Salvador HERE .

If you are interested in receiving messages we may occasionally send to U.S. citizens in El Salvador on this and other subjects, we encourage you to select the following link to register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).