TPS – Useful Information

With the possible termination of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Salvadoran citizens, please find below the relevant information that could be useful as it relates to immigration and migratory procedures.

For questions regarding official documents and applications with the Government of El Salvador

Consulate Name Contact
Aurora, Colorado Tel. +1 720 485 5412
Seattle, Washington Tel. +1 206 971 7950
Elizabeth, New Jersey Tel. +1 908 820 0881
Woodbridge, Virginia Tel. +1 703 490 4300 ext. 114 y 110
Long Island, New York Tels. +1 631 273 1355 | 2256 | 2430
Atlanta, Georgia Tel. +1 770 591 4140                                                                             Línea de emergencias 24/7 +1 678 557 0482
Boston, Massachusetts Tels. +1 617 567 8484 | 8338 | 2864
Chicago, Illinois Tel. +1 312 332 1393
Dallas, Texas Tels. +1 214 637 1500 | 1501 | 1511
Doral, Florida Tel. +1 305 592 6978
Houston, Texas Tel. +1 346 571 5198
Las Vegas, Nevada Tels. +1 702 437 5337 | 5339 | 5340
Los Angeles, California Tel. +1 213 234 9200
McAllen, Condado de Hidalgo, Texas Tels. +1 956 800 1363 | 1365
New York, New York Tels. +1 212 889 3608 | 3609
San Francisco, California Tels. +1 415 771 8524 | 8530 | 8531
Silver Spring, Maryland Tels. +1 202 337 4032 | 4033 | 9140 | 9141
Tuscon, Arizona Tels. +1 520 318 0410 | 0411
Embajada de El Salvador en Washington Tels. +1 202 595 7500 | + 1 866 876 4568


You can visit:

If you are applying for the first time in a Diplomatic or Salvadoran Consulate, and you are OLDER than 18 years old, you must submit:

  • Current DUI or DUI certification (current).
  • If you do not have a DUI, you must present an original birth certificate, in good condition, that is legible and without alterations.
  • A photo ID.

If you are renewing your passport in a diplomatic or Salvadoran Consulate and you are OLDER than 18 years old, you must submit:

  • Your previous passport.

If you process your passport in a Diplomatic or Salvadoran Consulate, and you are under 18 years old, you must submit:

  • Original birth certificate, in good condition, that is legible and without alterations.
  • Both parents need to be present, with an ID (DUI, current passport).

For more questions you can visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of El Salvador

To update information, check the status of your immigration process, processing times and locations of this office in the United States, you can contact:

For information about the requirements to apply for citizenship in the United States, you may contact:

Find information about citizenship, immigration status and to file a complaint regarding human rights violations, go to:

Parents of U.S. Citizen children under the age of 16 should apply for a passport for their children before departing the United States.  Children over the age of 16 can apply for their own passport.

It may take up to 6 weeks to receive a U.S. passport.  Parents planning to take their children outside of the United States should apply for their child’s passport as soon as possible prior to travel.

Passports issued to children under the age of 16 are valid for 5 years. Passports issued after the age of 16 are typically valid for 10 years.  Once in El Salvador, U.S. passports can be renewed at the U.S. Embassy in San Salvador:

Detailed instructions on applying for a U.S. passport are available in Spanish at:

Step-by-step instructions for applying for a minor’s passport:

Find the closest Passport Agency within the United States

Bring the following documents listed in:



U.S. Birth certificate

Parent’s Current Photo ID

Passport photo of the child. For more information visit:  

Your child’s social security number:

Photocopies of your photo ID and your child’s birth certificate

Your minor child

At the passport agency you will:

Pay the fee. Detailed information on passport fees is available here:
Take an oath
Sign the forms

You will receive your child’s passport in the mail.

For full instructions on applying for a passport for a child under the age of 16 visit:

U.S. citizens should have a Social Security Number when applying for a passport.  You can find out more information by contacting the Social Security Administration:

Traveling to/from El Salvador

U.S. Citizens entering El Salvador are not required to receive an entry visa.  A tourist card is issued at the point of arrival for $10. This card allows the child to stay in El Salvador for 90 days. For information on renewal visit:

Nevertheless, it is recommended that children residing in El Salvador with their Salvadoran parents document their Salvadoran citizenship. A U.S. citizen child who overstays their tourist card in El Salvador and has not documented their Salvadoran citizenship will be required to pay fines upon exiting El Salvador.

There are no vaccination requirements for visitors that come to El Salvador, for more specific information please visit:

Parents of U.S. citizens should read the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) recommendations on travel authorization for minors prior departure of the U.S.:

Minors traveling with one parent, in a group, or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian:

Minors traveling without their parents:

If a U.S. citizen child traveling on a U.S. passport wants to exit El Salvador, they will not be required to have parental consent. However, if the child is a Salvadoran resident, he/she must present the travel consent of any parent not traveling with them:


Accessing U.S. documentation from El Salvador can be costly and time consuming.  Therefore, parents planning to reside in El Salvador with their U.S. citizen children should bring important documents with them.

Document Checklist for U.S. Citizen Children Moving to El  Salvador:

  • U.S. Passport
  • Foreign Passport
  • Authenticated U.S. Birth certificate.
  • Foreign Consular Birth Registration Certificate
  • Authenticated official school records and transcripts
  • Vaccination Records
  • Medical Records
  • Social Security Card
  • Authenticated original custody agreement, if applicable.
  • Flight ticker or travel evidence.

Document Checklist for Parent of U.S. Citizen Children Moving to El Salvador:

  • Foreign Passport
  • Authenticated official school records and transcripts
  • Proof of previous employments and any proof of qualifications
  • Social Security Card
  • Authenticated marriage certificate (if marriage was in the United States and has not been registered with the foreign consulate)
  • Medical Records
  • Financial Records
  • All previous Tax Returns and W2s
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program at for security information overseas.

Please take into consideration that documents might need to be translated into the language of your country of origin. This can be done in your country of origin or in the United States. If the translations are done by a U.S. translator, the documents may need to be authenticated. For more information about authenticating documents, please go to

 For Vital Records from the United States, such as Birth/Death/Marriage/Divorce Certificate, please contact the National Center of Health Statistics:

Many documents issued in the United States must have an apostille to be accepted in El Salvador.  The apostille can be performed by the secretary of state for the individual state that issued the document.  It is particularly important to bring an apostille certificate for birth records and school transcripts. For more information visit:

If you are planning to enroll your children in school, make sure to get his/her Academic Record.  These documents require an apostille.

Though not required for entry, it is recommended that you bring your child’s vaccination and medical records. More information on vaccination records is available here:

Salvadoran Citizenship

If your child was born to one or both Salvadoran parents, he/she may be able to get Salvadoran Citizenship. Contact your nearest Salvadoran Consulate to document your child as Salvadoran:

Salvadoran citizens over the age of 18 are issued a Unique Identity Document (DUI).  This document is required to receive any type of social service, seek employment, open a bank account, etc.  Dual Citizens (Salvadoran/U.S. Citizens) residing in El Salvador will be able to apply for a DUI:

If you weren’t able to document your child’s Salvadoran citizenship prior to leaving the United States, you may register them at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  A recent and apostilled U.S. birth certificate is required. For more details please visit:

Living in El Salvador

Safety and security

The Department of State has issued a travel advisory for U.S. citizens who will travel or have plans to travel to El Salvador. We recommend reviewing the latest travel advisory for guidance:

We encourage all U.S. citizens traveling abroad, including minor children, to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  Enrollment is free and confidential.  The program ensures that enrollees receive important updates and is particularly useful for U.S. Citizens who reside overseas. To sign up for STEP visit:

Social Services

The American Citizen Services (ACS) unit at the United States Embassy in El Salvador offers federal services to U.S. Citizens abroad. To review what kind of services that are offered, please visit:

In the United States most social welfare programs such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are administered by the States.  Therefore, U.S citizens residing abroad will not be able to apply for these aid programs. Social programs are available in El Salvador but are limited.

Health care

All residents of El Salvador, including non-citizens, are guaranteed healthcare through El Salvador’s socialized medical system. Free medical services are offered through The Solidarity Fund for Health (FOSALUD), a network of government funded hospitals and clinics.

In addition to the free healthcare offered through FOSALUD, many U.S. citizen children will also fall under the Institute of Salvadoran Social Security (ISSS), an autonomous government entity that is financed by the Government of El Salvador, employers, and laborers. Children under the age of 12, whose parents are part of ISSS, will be eligible for free care through ISSS in addition to the free healthcare offered to everyone, regardless of age, via FOSALUD.

If a U.S. Citizen becomes ill or injured abroad, the U.S. Embassy maintains a list of private medical providers that may help in times of need. We remind all U.S. citizens traveling and living in El Salvador that medical care varies greatly in quality and availability compared to the U.S. For information, please visit:

Federal Benefits

Detailed information on Social Security benefits is available here:

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States. Effective October 1, 2017, individuals residing in El Salvador must make federal benefits inquiries through the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in San Jose, Costa Rica.  For information or questions about their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at:  (U.S. Embassy San Salvador ACS Information) (U.S. Embassy San Jose ACS Information)

  • Why is Secretary Mayorkas rescinding the terminations of the designations and extending the designation of TPS for these countries?

After careful consideration and consultation with interagency partners, Secretary Mayorkas determined that the TPS designations should not have been terminated and that El Salvador, Honduras, Nepal and Nicaragua continue to meet the statutory conditions supporting the extension of TPS due to continued conditions resulting from environmental disasters that prevent nationals from returning safely. The termination decisions in 2017 and 2018 failed to adequately assess country conditions.

  • How long is TPS designated for El Salvador?

The extension of the designation of El Salvador for TPS is for 18 months, from Sept. 10, 2023, through March 9, 2025.

  • How many nationals from El Salvador are eligible for TPS under the extension?

There are approximately 239,000 existing TPS beneficiaries under the designation for El Salvador.

  • What are the TPS eligibility requirements, and how do you apply for TPS?

The extensions of TPS for El Salvador enable current beneficiaries to re-register for TPS and to apply for renewal of their EADs if they otherwise continue to meet the TPS eligibility requirements.

  • How will individuals know if they are eligible for employment authorization?

An individual who has been approved for TPS is authorized to work in the United States. The FRNs describe the TPS eligibility criteria applicants must meet and timelines and procedures necessary for current beneficiaries to re-register for TPS and renew EADs. The FRN will be published soon. When an individual files for Temporary Protected Status, to re-register for TPS, they can simultaneously request an EAD renewal the Application for Employment Authorization, or they may file their Form I-765 request separately at a later date.

  • What does TPS do to help stabilize the home country so that ultimately its nationals can return to a safe country?

TPS is a temporary status that helps the home country stabilize during a time of extraordinary crisis. Following the designation, individuals who are already in the United States on the continuous residence date described in the FRN can register for TPS and apply for an EAD. This added stability prevents the individual from traveling back to dangerous situations in their home country. Funds sent back to their home country further support recovery.