Notarial Services

Last Updated: May, 2022


Consular Officers at the United States Embassy can provide notarial services to an applicant, from any nationality, similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States, but do not serve as lawyers and will not review documents for content and accuracy.

*Documents are for use ONLY in the United States*

*Notarial services require an appointment and the person signing the document must be physically present at the appointment *


What Notarial Services Can Consular Officers at U.S. Embassy San Salvador Provide?



Acknowledge signatures on:

·         Powers of Attorney

·         Deeds

·         Wills

·         Trademark Applications

Administer Oaths or Affirmations on:

·         Affidavits of support or singleness

·         Declaration of events/facts

·         Declaration of true copies

Certify True Copies of:

·         U.S. Passports

·         Documents at the direct request of the Social Security Administration

·         Salvadorean passports and DUIs at the direct request of the Internal Revenue                 Service to obtain an ITIN number.

·         Apostille or authenticate any document

·         Prepare or complete the legal document that needs to be notarized

·         Provide a medallion signature

·         Notarize documents that are not written in English or Spanish

·         Certify copies of citizenship or naturalization certificates

·         Certify copies of documents issued by states, including: birth certificate, school               records, driver license, among others.

·         Provide remote notarial services.

Remote notarial services are available in many U.S. states. Refer to the Notary Handbook of your state (these are generally available online) for more information and to see if you can use a remote notarial service from the United States.


Step 1: Verify the embassy can perform the notarial service you need by reviewing the table above.

Step 2: Prepare the document that you need to notarize.
• Complete all required fields in your document. You cannot fill out your document at the embassy. Please do not sign the document before your notarial appointment.
• You must submit the entire document being notarized and the pages must be in the correct order, with no missing pages. You must understand and be able to explain what you are signing to the Consular Officer. The Consular Officer may require that you make a new appointment if you do not understand or are unable to explain what you are signing.

Step 3: Gather your identification document.
• All signatories must bring with them a valid government issued photo identification such as a passport, driver’s license, national ID card, etc. Your name on your identification must match the name on the document to be notarized.
• If your document requires witnesses to be present, you must bring them to the appointment. Consular officers cannot serve as witnesses and witnesses must bring their valid photo identification.

Step 4: Schedule an appointment.
• An appointment is required for notarial services. Please schedule your appointment here: NOTARIAL SERVICES APPOINTMENT
• Please select the “notarial services option” when scheduling an appointment.
• Scheduling an appointment is free; you will pay when your document is notarized.

There is a $50.00 fee for EACH notarial stamp/signature. For example, if your document requires 3 signatures from the notary, your total fee will be $150.00. Fees may be paid in cash or with a credit card inside the embassy during your appointment. (If you pay in cash, please have exact amount)

There are certain types of services that are free of charge; examples include:

  • Signing form DS-3053
  • At the request of direct hire U.S. Government personnel, Peace Corps volunteers, or their dependents stationed or traveling officially in a foreign country
  • At the direct request of any Federal Government agency, any state or local government, the District of Columbia, or any of the territories or possession of the United States.

The U.S. Embassy DOES NOT apostille or authenticate any document.

State-issued documents (birth/marriage/divorce/police records) for use in countries that are members of 1961 Hague Convention must be authenticated by the competent authority in the state where the document was executed. El Salvador is member of the Hague Convention.

A state-issued document with an apostille does not require additional certification by the U.S. Department of State or legalization by a U.S. embassy or consulate overseas to be recognized in a participating country. The U.S. Department of State will not issue an apostille for state-issued documents.

For more information on apostilles and authentications please visit the Office of Authentications

Apostille authorities in El Salvador:

Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (MFA) Chancery
(Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

Calle El Pedregal, Blvd. Cancillería 500 mts. al poniente del Campus II de la Universidad “Dr. Jose Matías Delgado”,Edificio 1, Nivel 1, Ciudad Merliot, Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad.
Tel. (503) 2231-1000 / 2231-2900 / 2231-1309 / 2231-1383
Fax (503) 2243-9656

Dirección General de Asuntos Consulares
Oficina de Auténticas, Apostillas, Visas y Pasaportes
Tel. (503) 2231-1158 / 2231-1335

Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores (Branches)

Sucursal Centro de Gobierno
Oficina de Trámites Registrales
Final 17 Ave. Norte, Edificio 4 – 1era Planta
San Salvador, San Salvador
Tel. (503) 2222-4447 / 2221-2300

Sucursal Centro Comercial “LAS CASCADAS”
2º Nivel Local 219 / Ave. Jerusalén
Oficina de Auténticas y Apostillas
Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad
Tel. (503) 2231-1176 / 2243-8493

Sucursal SANTA ANA
Oficina de Auténticas y Apostillas
Calle Libertad, 9 / 11 Ave. Norte
Santa Ana, Santa Ana
Tel. (503) 2447-1836 / 2447-1684

Oficina de Auténticas y Apostillas
Gobernación Política Departamental
Barrio El Centro
4ª Calle Poniente / 1ª Ave. Norte # 201
San Miguel, San Miguel
Tel. (503) 2660-4575 / 2660-4576


Additional Resources:

Translators List
Marriages in El Salvador
List of Attorneys in El Salvador

If you have any question(s), please send an email to