If you are a United States citizen and at least 18 years old and want to participate on the U.S. 2016 elections from El Salvador you must register to vote and request a voting absentee ballot, take a look to the following links to find out more information about the voting process:



Once you have registered on line you must print the forms, sign the forms and finally mail the forms to the postal mailing address instructed by your state of voting residence, you will find this adress in your registration form. If you prefer to use El Salvador’s postal system, be sure to affix sufficient postage and allow enough time for international mail delivery.

Visit the following link to read the mailing guidelines for your form: Mailing Guidelines

You may bring in your forms or ballots to the ACS Unit for mailing back to the United States free of charge with a postage-paid envelope. Please visit the following link to read about our contact information:

General Contact Information




Once your form is received by FVAP you are registered to vote and your State will mail you a voting ballot.

Your local voting officials (in the U.S.) should mail your absentee ballot 30 to 45 days before the mid-term, presidential or general elections to your address in El Salvador.  Return your completed ballot as early as possible.  Be aware of your state’s ballot receipt deadline, as well as any postmark requirements.

There is no voting at the Embassy or the American Citizen Services unit on the election day. While we are happy to provide voter assistance, please note that it is not possible for U.S. citizens in El Salvador to vote at the U.S. Embassy in federal, state or local elections.  You must use the absentee voting process, if you plan on voting in El Salvador.

For more information on state by state, federal election mailing dates, please visit

For information on voting registration, absentee ballot requests and absentee voting, as well as web-based and printable forms, please visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program at For information about election dates and deadlines, subscribe to FVAP’s Voting Alerts at FVAP also shares Voting Alerts via Facebook and Twitter.  You can also find more information on voting overseas on the State Department webpage on overseas voting. 

You may also contact the American Citizen Services Voting Assistance Officer with your voting-related questions at (503) 2501-2628 or via email at