On March 29, 2021, the government of El Salvador updated the requirements for entry into the country. Here is the updated list:
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- The Government of El Salvador reopened the International Airport on September 19 with enhanced health protocols, which may include but not be limited to requiring the wearing of a mask at all times, maintaining social distancing, and temperature checks. For more information regarding the reopening of the airport and the measures that will be implemented, please consult the website of the Comisión Ejecutiva Portuaria Autónoma (CEPA).
- There are no exit restrictions in place.
- On March 29, 2021, the government of El Salvador announced that (and some airlines have confirmed that they are now accepting for boarding) passengers who have completed their COVID-19 vaccination course will no longer be required to present a negative RT-PCR test for entry but can present proof of vaccination instead. Please verify with your airline that they have implemented this change and their specific documentary requirements.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes, if the traveler does not have proper documentation of a completed vaccination course. The requirements are strictly enforced. The government of El Salvador is requiring all airlines to obtain from their international passengers ages two and older, a printed original negative Real Time-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test result issued within 72 hours of arrival at El Salvador to allow them to board. (Note: the 72 hours is counted from the date and time of the reception of the test result, NOT from the time a sample is collected) The printed lab report must state that the test is RT-PCR. The U.S. Embassy is unable to facilitate entry of passengers who arrive without proper test or vaccination documentation. It is very important that you consult with your airline for full details prior to attempting to travel. To summarize:
- U.S. citizens are required to present proof of completion of their vaccination course OR an original negative RT-PCR test result issued within 72 hours of entering El Salvador at any point of entry (land, sea, or air).
- If you are a Salvadoran or legal permanent resident of El Salvador different requirements may apply, please visit the website or Twitter of the General Directorate of Migration for more information.
- Accredited diplomats are exempted from this requirement.