Service Availability: The United States Embassy in El Salvador is resuming certain immigrant and nonimmigrant visa services, including appointments for IR/CR1s, IR/CR2s, IR/IH3s, and IR/IH4s, K-1 fiancée immigrant visas and F-1, M-1, J-1, E, I, O, P, and C1/D nonimmigrant visas. While the Embassy aims to process cases as soon as practicable, there is likely to be increased wait times for completing such services due to substantial backlogs. If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please follow the guidance provided at www.ustraveldocs.com/sv or 2113-3122 to request an emergency appointment.
The U.S. Mission to El Salvador understands that many non-immigrant visa applicants have paid the visa application processing fee and are still waiting to schedule a visa appointment. We are working diligently to restore all routine visa operations as quickly and safely as possible. In the meantime, rest assured that the U.S. Mission will extend the validity of your payment (known as the MRV fee) until September 30th, 2022, to allow all non-immigrant applicants who were unable to schedule an appointment as a result of the suspension of routine consular operations an opportunity to schedule and/or attend a non-immigrant visa appointment with the already paid fee. Please continue to monitor this site for information on when we will return to routine visa operations.
The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in San Salvador is responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.
If you have a question regarding the visa process or a visa case, you may contact our Visa Information Center free of additional cost. Our customer service representatives are able to assist you Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Schedule provided in Central Time) via the following means:
· Telephone: From El Salvador call 2113-3122, from the United States call (703) 745-5476;
· Email: Write to the Visa Information Center electronic address firstname.lastname@example.org;
· Skype: You may contact our representatives via their Skype account; add this account to your contact list: ustraveldocs_centralamerica;
· Online Chat: You may also chat live with one of our representatives, click this link:
· Website: You can learn about the visa process and schedule your visa appointment at any time visiting the Visa Information Center official website ustraveldocs.com
· Victims of Scam: If you feel you have been a victim of a visa scam, or would like to know if a temporary work visa offer is legitimate, please contact our Fraud Prevention Unit at DenunciasSV@state.gov or call 2501-2636. Our staff speak Spanish and all calls are confidential.
Visiting the Embassy or Consulate
Limited Access to Visa Applicants to the Consular Section
Please be aware: Access to the Consular Section facilities and waiting areas for the visa applicants is limited to visa applicants ONLY. The following exceptions apply:
- Elderly visa applicants that require assistance**
- Children under 18 years old accompanied by parent(s) or the legal representative
- Handicapped visa applicants that require assistance**
**If an applicant has special needs and requires assitance on the day of your interview, they may be accompanied by a family member or legal guardian. Attorneys will not be permitted to accompany applicants into the waiting room or attend the interview.
We kindly request that you make all the necessary arrangements to comply with this new policy to avoid delays. There is no waiting area outside the embassy walls for family members.
Please Bring Your Visa Appointment Letter Ready to Show to the Greeters at the Entrance
The Embassy is closed for visa appointments on American and Salvadoran holidays and the first Friday of each month as an administrative closure. Holidays are announced at this link and are also posted monthly at the Chancery entrance of the Embassy, located on the Boulevard Santa Elena.