Weather Alert – Embassy of the United States in San Salvador, El Salvador (January 15, 2022)
Location: Entire Pacific Coast of El Salvador
Event: The National Weather Service in the United States (joined by the Ministry of the Environment and Civil Protection Agency in El Salvador) has issued a tsunami warning for the Pacific coast of El Salvador due to high tides and strong currents.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and the Civil Protection Agency website www.proteccioncivil.gob.sv for updates.
- If you are visiting a beach, take special note of any warning flags and follow any instructions from lifeguards. If no lifeguard is present, strongly consider avoiding entering the ocean until such time as Civil Protection has lifted its tsunami warning, which is expected to occur on Sunday, 16 January.
- Always take into account surf conditions, your swimming ability, and the prevalence of dangerous rip currents and practice aquatic safety. Avoid the use of alcohol when engaging in water recreation.
- El Salvador Emergency Line: Dial 911
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador
Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo CuscatlÃ¡n, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)