Weather Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (May 31, 2020)
Location: El Salvador, countrywide
Event: On May 31, the Government of El Salvador issued a red alert and declared a state of emergency for the entire country due to Tropical Storm Amanda. There are reports of flooding, landslides, power and water outages, and difficult travel conditions throughout the country. Expect rainfall to continue for the next several days.
Salvadoran authorities recommend staying home due to the danger of flooding and landslides on the roads. The U.S. Embassy encourages all U.S. citizens to follow local authority guidelines.
Local airport authorities have confirmed that today’s humanitarian flight on United Airlines will operate as scheduled. If you are traveling to the airport, please allow for extra travel time and consider taking an alternate route, as there are reports of landslides on the Comalapa highway. If you miss your flight, please reschedule with United Airlines. To contact United Airlines, please visit www.united.com , email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 2207-2040 / 2136-7590.
Actions to Take:
- Follow the directions of local authorities.
- Monitor the websites and social media feeds of Protección Civil, the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources (MARN), and the Vice Ministry of Transport for the latest information on weather updates, safety precautions, road closures, etc.
- Website: proteccioncivil.gob.sv
- Twitter: PROCIVILSV
- Website: http://www.marn.gob.sv/
- Twitter: @MARN_SV
Vice Ministry of Transport
- Website: http://www.vmt.gob.sv/
- Twitter: @VMTElSalvador
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador
- Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24-hour phone line)
- El Salvador’s National Emergency Operations Center
- 503-2281-0888 or 503-2201-2424
- National Police of El Salvador: Dial 911
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security update