Weather Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (February 23, 2022)
Location: El Salvador
Event: On February 21, The Civil Protection Agency issued a red alert for forest fire danger throughout El Salvador due to dry conditions and high winds over the coming days. The alert also contains a burn ban. Since the publication of that alert, a large forest fire has occurred in a remote area between Nejapa and Apopa near the western border of the Department of San Salvador. While Civil Protection reports this fire is now controlled, these events show that fire danger remains severe.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and the Civil Protection Agency website www.proteccioncivil.gob.sv for updates.
- If your municipal emergency committee orders an evacuation, comply immediately. Forest fires can move with surprising speed.
- Make a plan now for secure shelter in another location in the event an evacuation order is issued. Such orders may be issued with very little notice.
- Prepare a bag for each family member that contains clothing and supplies for a few days and your travel and other vital documents.
- Notify friends and family of your safety as soon as you can after evacuation.
- El Salvador Emergency Line: Dial 911
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador
Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo CuscatlÃ¡n, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive any updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter