Location: El Salvador
Event: The National Hurricane Center in the United States (joined by the Ministry of the Environment and Civil Protection Agency in El Salvador) is tracking Tropical Storm Bonnie, which is likely to cross Nicaragua and enter the Pacific Ocean early Saturday morning. El Salvador may experience high winds and will experience elevated rainfall through the weekend. Civil Protection has issued a nationwide Green Alert (possible impact of weather event) and a Yellow Alert (50% chance the event will disrupt normal activities) for the coastal zone. Tropical storms are unpredictable and can change direction without warning, so staying informed on current conditions is important. This storm has the capacity to create dangerous floods and mudslides that can cause injuries, damage homes and businesses, and block roads.
Actions to Take:
- Closely monitor local media and the Civil Protection Agency website www.proteccioncivil.gob.svfor updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Inform a friend or family member of travel plans over the upcoming weekend.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov).
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- El Salvador Emergency Line: Dial 911
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444