Location: El Salvador
Event: The Ministry of the Environment and Civil Protection Agency in El Salvador has updated their alerts regarding continued rains from a tropical wave that is generating bands of showers and storms that will likely continue for the next few days. Civil Protection has issued Red Alerts (dangerous weather is occurring now) for the following municipalities: Greater San Salvador, Santa Tecla, Colón, Concepción Quezaltepeque, Comalapa, La Palma, Comasagua, Talnique and Santa Ana. The remainder of the country has been placed on Orange Alert (conditions exist for the likely development of dangerous weather events). Additional rains can be expected which may create dangerous floods and mudslides that can cause injuries, damage homes and businesses, and block roads.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and the Civil Protection Agency website www.proteccioncivil.gob.sv for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Inform a friend or family member of travel plans over the upcoming week.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov).
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- El Salvador Emergency Line: Dial 911
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444