Weather (Volcano) Alert – U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador (November 28, 2022)
Location: San Miguel and Usulután Departments
Event: The Chaparrastique volcano in San Miguel Department entered a period of eruptive activity, including ejecting steam and ash, on November 15. On November 27, the activity intensified with sizeable rocks ejected from the crater, and the plume of ash, steam, and other gases reached a height of 1100 meters above the crater. The volcano’s activity is now at Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) level one.
The Civil Protection Agency has issued a green alert (attention to a possible threat) for the municipalities of Chinameca, San Rafael Oriente, and San Jorge in San Miguel Department. Residents in the remainder of San Miguel and all of Usulután municipalities are to remain on alert for further developments. Civil Protection has established an exclusion zone which prohibits approaching any closer than three kilometers from the crater, and restricted tourist and agricultural activities within six kilometers from the crater. Civil Protection recommends masks be used by those within the six-kilometer zone. They have also activated shelters in the area in the event an evacuation becomes necessary.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media, the Civil Protection Agency website and the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources website for updates.
- Do not attempt to approach the crater and reconsider any travel within six kilometers.
- Follow the directions of local authorities including any evacuation orders.
- Seek secure shelter outside the affected area.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (ready.gov). In addition to the items on that list, add volcano-specific items suggested by the U.S. Geological Survey. These include eye and breathing protection in case of airborne irritants.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- El Salvador Emergency Line: Dial 911
- U.S. Embassy San Salvador, El Salvador
- Final Boulevard Santa Elena
Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad
Telephone: 503-2501-2999 (24 hour phone line)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive any updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter